Sibsagar lies on the Dikhu River, a tributary of the Brahmaputra. This ancient capital of the Ahoms, who ruled Assam for over 600 years is dominated by a huge 237 acres water tank built by Queen Madambika in 1734. On its banks are three temples Shivdol, the most important of the three, attracts a large number of devotees, especially on ‘Shivaratri’. It is probably the tallest Shiva temple in the country Vishnudol and Devidol are the other two temples. Other important water bodies built by the Ahoms are the Joysagar, Gaurisagar and Rudrasagar. Also worth visiting site are, the Rang Ghar, an oval shaped amphitheatre; Talatol Ghar, a unique palace with three underground floors and secret tunnels; Ahom Museum, displaying artefacts of the Sibsagar rulers.
Sibsagar is about 369km Guwahati, the commercial capital of Assam.
The climate is characterized by its extreme humidity. Its most distinguishing feature is the copious rainfall between March and May at a time when precipitation in upper India is at its minimum. Climatically, the year may be divided into the cold season and the rainy. The cold weather lasts from October to February and the rest of the year is rainy.
Sibsagar was the capital of the mighty Ahoms, who ruled Assam for more than six hundred years before the advent of the British. The most remarkable landscape of the town is the 200-year-old Sibsagar tank.
Sibsagar Tourism Information
Tezpur, one of the most beautiful towns of Assam sprawls picturesquely in a verdant valley, on the north bank of the Brahmaputra, with snow clad Himalayan peaks in the background. This important cultural and historical centre is also known as Sonitpur or the ‘City of Blood’, as it is believed that the mythical war between Hari (Lord Krishna) and Hara(Lord Shiva) was fought here. It is also known for lush tea gardens.
The park first established by Mr Cole, a British Dy. Commissioner has tow huge ornamental stone pillars and the sculptural remains of the Bamuni Hills. Nearby, at Da Parbatia are the ruins of 5th – 6th century stone temples. Other architectural remains are, Agnigarh and Bamuni hills, the Bhairavi and Mahabhairab temples etc.
Sibsagar Tour Information
It lies on the banks of rivr Jia Bharali amidst lush forests and hills. Hot springs, Eco Camp, Orchid Centre and the Nyethidow festival (March), are some of the tourist attractions. It is also a fine site for fishing and river rafting.
Nameri National Park (35km)
It covers an area of about 200 sq km and extends into Arunachal Pradesh. Key fauna clouded leopard, tiger, bison and capped langur etc. The park is also rich in birdlife and Jia Bhoroli River here is known for the golden mahseer fish.
Orang national Park (31km)
The park is popularly known as mini Kaziranga and is a good place to View one-horned rhino, leopard, elephant, sambar, barking deer and tiger etc. There is also a rich variety of bird species.
An another old capital of the Ahom kings, Charaideo, built by the founder fo the Ahom dynasty, Sukapha lies 28km east of Sibsagar. It is famous for the 'maidan' or burial vaults of the members of the royalty.
At a distance of 5km from Sibsagar, there is Joysagar with translucent were covering an area of about 318acres of land. Ahom king Rudrasingha constructed Joysagar in 45 days in memory of his mother. It is larger than Sibsagar in size. By its side can be found a college, a Fish Research Centre and the temples-Joydol and Sibdol. There is also the residence of Bengali sculptor Ghanasyam or Nit Gosain. About 16km south of Joysagar, there is Gurisagar stretching about 150 acres dug by the first wife of Sibsingha queen, Phuleswari in 1723. The temple of Goddess Durga is also there by the side of Gourisagar.
About 6km from Sibsagar is an immense seven storeyed palace, three of which are below the ground level - known as Talatal Ghar - and the rest of the storeys above. There are two secret tunnels here.
Kareng Ghar & Talatal Ghar
13km east of Sibsagar, is Gargaon which presents the sight of Karenghar of the past a pyramid-like king's palace which can be seen by travelling in a bus. Although the ornamental work is destroyed, its sculpture is beautiful. Swargadev Chao Chukenmunge constructed this seven-storeyed palace with wood and stone in 1540. Pramatta Singha built up its main gate and its present shape was given by Rajeshwarsinghain in1752. But in 1699, the Ahom king, Rudrasingha transferred the capital and constructed Kareng Ghar anew not far from Rang Ghar opposite the road.
Gargaon, the erstwhile capital of the Ahoms, lies 13km east of Sibsagar. The old palace built in 1540 was destroyed, and King Rajeshwar Singha rebuilt the present seven-storeyed palace, known as Kareng Ghar, around 1762.
King Pramatta Singha built this amphitheatre. This two storeyed oval shaped pavilion is one of the largest of its kind.
Gaurisagar Tank and Temples
Queen Phuleshwari Devi built the Gaurisagar tank. Standing on its bank are three temples - Vishnudol, Shivdol and Devidol.
Rudrasagar Tank and Temples
King Lakshmi Singha built the Rudrasagar tank in 1773. It is 8 km from Sibsagar.
Namdang Stone Bridge
King Rudra Singha constructed the Namdang Bridge, cut out from a single solid rock over the Namdang River, in 1703. Today, the National Highway No. 37 passes over this bridge.