Delhi Temples Mosque and Church
Lotus Templels, Birla Mandir Akshardham Temple, Chhatarpur Temple, Hanuman Mandir and Fatehpuri Masjid, Jama Masjid etc. are the main Hindu and muslim pilgrim centres respectively.
The massive temple complex of Swaminarayan sect is set amidst 100 acres of well laid out lawns and lotus shaped water bodies, on the banks of river Yamuna. It was inaugurated on November 7, 2005 by the President and Prime Minister of India and has become a must visit site of Delhi. Akshardham is much more than a temple. The gigantic structure was ornately carved by over 11,000 craftsmen working diligently for over 300 million man hours. The main temple is 141ft high, 316ft broad and 370ft long and has 239 exquisitely carved pillars and nine domes. It enshrines a 11ft high gold plated idol of Lord Swaminarayan. There are also idols of Lakshmi – Naryan, Shiva – Parvati, Radha – Krishna and Sita – Ram. Over 20,000 other idols of disciples are carved on the inside and outside walls. Finely carved floral motifs, 869 peacocks and 149 full-sized elephants also grace the magnificent temple complex. About 2 km long parikaramas have over 1152 beautifully carved pillars.
The exhibition halls studded with modern technologies like IMAX theatre, autoelectromatric machines, sound and light shows exhibits an amazing world of Indian culture and heritage. There is also a Disney land kind of 12 minute boat ride which takes visitor’s through the vast magnitude of Indian culture. Models of Ajanta and Ellore caves and thematic setting of our culture are brought to life through dummy depictions. The mamooth edifice resembles the Akshardham of Gandhinagar (Gujarat) and over 2 billion rupees are said to have been spent to create this wonderland.
Bahai’s House of Worship (Lotus temple)
The lotus shaped shrine of the Bahai sect invites followers of all faiths to meditate and pray in silence. The petals of the lotus are made of concrete clad with white marble which gives freshness and transparency to its surface. Around the blooming petals are nine pools of water, which light up in natural light. At dust the sight of floodlit Lotus temple is simply spectacular.
Bangla Sahib Gurudwara
The sacred Sikh shrine at Baba Kharak Singh Marg commemorated the visit of Guru Harikrishan Sahibji.
The massive structures built in white marble are just 4 km from Qutb Minar worth a visit. The main shrine is dedicated to Goddess Durga.
Digambar jain Mandir
This important Jain temple on the eastern end of Chandni Chowk is dedicated to Lord Adinath. It was built in 1656, as a part of the city of Shahjahanabad and also has a well known bird hospital.
This small shrine near Connaught Place was built in 1724 by Maharaja Jai Singh of jaipur. It is one of the important Hindu shrines of the city and very popular among the devotees of Lord Hanuman.
Hazrat Nizamudin Aulia
The sacred Muslim pilgrim site is dedicated to Sheikh Nizamuddin Chist, fourth in theline of Chisti saints. He was born in Budaun in Uttar Pradesh in 1236 and lived most of his life in Delhi. Among his illustrious disciples were the Sultans, Alauddin Khilji and Muhammed bin Tughlaq and the celebrated poet, Amir Khusro. Sheikh Nizamuddin died in 1325 and soon after his burial at this spot the adjacent area became the covered cemetery of Muslim nobility. Every Thursday, after sunset qawwals sing the melodious lyrics of Amir Khusro.
The mosque was built in 1650, by Fatehpuri Begum, one of the wives of Emperor Shah Jahan. Located on the western end of Chandni Chowk, the mosque is surmounted by a single dome and flanked by minarets.
The red sandstone mosque was built by Shah Jahan between 1644 and 1650. It is set on a high platform and can be reached by steps on the north, south and east sides. The rectangular prayer hall has magnificent façade of arches decorated with marble frames and inscribed panels. The towering minarets of the mosque dominate Old Delhi skyline and affords a fine view of the city.
Lakshmi Narayan Temple (Birla Mandir)
The massive temple dedicated ot Narayana (the Preserver) and Lakshmi (the goddess of wealth), is the most popular Hindu temple of the city. It was built in 1938, by an eminent industrialist Raja Baldev Birla and inaugurated by Gandhiji. The temple has a large number of idols representing various Hindu deities.
It lies at Chandni Chowk and is associated with Guru Teg Bahadur, who was beheaded here in 1675, on the orders of Emperor Aurangzeb.
St. James Church
It was built by James Skinner and consecrated in 1836 and is the oldest surviving church in Delhi. The church is of a western classical design with a Greek cross plan.